Skip to content
- “Popular Grievances in the Arab Region: Evaluating Explanations for Discontent in the Lead-Up to the Uprisings.” Middle East Development Journal 9, no. 2(2018): 1-33. (With Nisreen Salti)
- “Political Context, Organizational Mission and the Quality of Social Services: Insights from the Health Sector in Lebanon.” World Development 98 (October 2017), 120-132. (With Aytuğ Şaşmaz)
Winner of the 2017 Best Comparative Policy Paper Award, Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis-American Political Science Association (JCPA-APSA)
- “Building Resilient Health Systems: A Proposal for a Resilience Index.” In BMJ 357 (May 2017): 1-8. (With Margaret Kruk (lead author) et al.)
- “Does Risk Promote or Undermine Citizen Trust in Government? The Case of Health Care in Europe.” In Perspectives on Politics 13, no. 4 (December 2015), 938-957. (With Julia Lynch and Gavril Bilev)
- “Sectarianism and the Ambiguities of Welfare in the Middle East.” In Cultural Anthropology 56, no. 6 (December 2015).
- “Is There An Islamist Political Advantage?” In Annual Review of Political Science, vol. 17 (May/June 2014). (With Pauline Jones Luong)
- “Governance and Health in the Arab World.” In The Lancet, vol. 382 (2013): 1-13. (With Rajaie Batniji (lead author), Sanjay Basu, Rita Giacaman, Amaney Jamal, Lina Khatib, Geoffrey Sweet, and Paul Wise). PDF of Appendix: Governance and Health in the Arab World Appendix.
- “Informal Politics and Access to Health Care in Lebanon.” In International Journal for Equity in Health. 11, no. 23 (2012). (With Bradley Chen)
- “Power-Sharing in Post-Conflict Societies: Implications for Peace and Governance.” In Journal of Conflict Resolution. 56, no. 6 (December 2012): 982 – 1016. (With Edmund Malesky)
- “Introduction: The Political Consequences of Non-State Social Welfare in the Global South.” Article in special issue of Studies in Comparative International Development on “Non-State Actors, States and Citizens and the Provision of Social Welfare in the Global South.” 46, no. 1 (Spring 2011): 1-21. (With Lauren Morris MacLean)
- “Partisan Activism and Access to Welfare in Lebanon.” Article in special issue of Studies in Comparative International Development on Non-State Actors, States and Citizens and the Provision of Social Welfare in the Global South. 46, no. 1 (Spring 2011): 70-97.
- “Bricks and Mortar Clientelism: The Political Geography of Welfare in Lebanon.” In World Politics 62, no. 3 (July 2010). (With Sukriti Issar). Winner of the 2011 Alexander L. George Award, Section on Qualitative and Multi-Method Research, American Political Science Association.
- “Power-Sharing in Post-Conflict Societies: Implications for Peace and Governance” In Studies in Comparative International Development 45, no. 2 (Summer 2010). (With Marsha Pripstein Posusney)
- “Business-Government Relations and Industrial Change: The Politics of Upgrading in Morocco and Tunisia.” In World Development 35, no. 11 (2007): 1889-1903.
- “Development and the Changing Dynamics of Global Production: Global Value Chains and Local Clusters in Apparel Manufacturing.” In Competition and Change 10, no. 1 (March 2006): 23-48.
- “Fat Cats and Self-Made Men: Globalization and the Paradoxes of Collective Action.” In Comparative Politics 37, no. 4 (July 2005): 379-400.
- “International Exposure, Domestic Response: Financiers, Weavers and Garment Manufacturers in Morocco and Tunisia.” In Arab Studies Journal 7, no. 2/8, no. 1 (Fall 1999/Spring 2000): 26-51.
- “Defensive Integration and Late Developers: The Gulf Cooperation Council and the Arab Maghreb Union.” In Global Governance 5, no. 3 (July-September 1999): 379-402.